In keeping with its goal of improving ANPD member knowledge of the research and grant processes, the ANPD Research Committee would like to offer mentorship to members who are interested in the pursuit of research. It is the desire of the committee to foster grant proposal submission and offer mentorship to members during the grant proposal writing process. If you would like to talk to a member of the ANPD Research Committee about your proposal, contact the ANPD National Office
. Find out how easy it is to connect with someone who will mentor you through the grant writing process.
The ANPD Research Committee has compiled numerous resources for the staff development researcher. Click here to access the Research Grant Progress Report Template, which is due December 15th of each year. Click here to view the Grant Scoring Criteria.
ANPD Research Agenda 2012-2014
The Board of Directors has issued the Research Agenda for 2012-2014.
Information on How to Conduct Research
For information on conducting research, click on the topics below. If you have suggestions for other topics, send a message to ANPD at email@example.com.
2014 Research Grants Available
ANPD members are encouraged to begin thinking about submitting for a 2014 ANPD research grant. Research grants are an ideal way to further your professional career and gain additional recognition for your research and work in nursing professional development. This program is intended to provide funding for pilot projects or small projects for novice researchers. Grants up to $2,500 will be awarded- watch your email and Trendlines for application details.
Grant Application Process
General Process Information
- Please fill out the form at the bottom of the page to submit a Research Grant Application, submit the application by March 10, 2014.
- The ANPD Small Research Grant Program is designed primarily to provide funding for pilot projects or small projects for novice researchers.
- The maximum grant award is $2500.
- Grant amounts are contingent upon the number of grants awarded and typically do not exceed $2500. Grants are awarded to ANPD members only. Membership must be current at the time of application and at time of selection. An application for membership may accompany the proposal. For research with multiple investigators, the principal investigator must be a member.
- While the principal investigator may submit only one proposal per funding year, no limit is placed on the number of times an investigator may submit for funding.
- The principal investigator of funded studies must agree to submit for dissemination the results of the research in one or more of the following ways:
- Abstract published in TrendLines
- Concurrent session or poster presentation at the annual ANPD Convention
- ANPD-published monograph
- Manuscript published in a scholarly journal (e.g., Journal for Nurses in Staff Development)
- The principal investigator must identify a projected timeframe for completion and submit progress reports to the ANPD National Office annually until the final report is submitted.
- All published or presented reports of the research must include an acknowledgment that funds were provided by ANPD.
- If you would like to submit a Research Grant Application please fill out the form below by March 10, 2014.
Nursing Professional Development Research Categories
Structure of NPD
- Measurement (instruments) of competency/skill development in all nurses or in NPD specialists
- NPD staffing metrics
- Effective academic/practice models or partnerships
- Effective graduate student preceptor models
- Factors contributing to the transfer of knowledge to clinical practice
Processes of NPD
- Educational strategies to promote competency/skill development in all nurses or in NPD specialists
- Evaluation of competency/skill development in all nurses or in NPD specialists
- Effective teaching strategies to promote patient safety, clinical reasoning, or critical thinking
- Assessment of critical thinking
Guidelines for Submitting a Research Proposal
Outcomes of NPD
- Effect of educational programs on knowledge, knowledge retention, patient outcomes, or quality of care
- Evaluation of strategies for transitioning to practice on clinical competency or quality of Care
- NPD Metrics in relation to patient or organizational outcomes
- Cost effective educational strategies
Grant Application Format
Proposals submitted for consideration MUST include (in the following order):
- Proposal Cover Form.
- Abstract of the proposal (No more than 500 words). The abstract should include significant background of research topic, methods (include sample size, data analysis), and relevance of the study.
- Table of contents
- Narrative (No more than 6 pages single spaced) addressing the following:
- Problem statement/specific aims
- Discuss what the specific research proposed in the application is intended to accomplish.
- State the research questions or hypotheses to be tested. (Limit to no more than one page)
- Background and significance
- Briefly sketch the background leading to the present application, critically evaluate existing knowledge, and specifically identify the gaps which the project is intended to fill. State concisely the significance for and contribution to nursing staff development of the project.
- Relationship to ANPD research priorities (please be explicit)
- Research design and methods
- Describe the research design and the procedures to be used to accomplish the specific aims of the project. Include how the data will be collected, analyzed, and interpreted.
- Budget and budget justification
- Project’s estimated timeframe
- Relevant and current references
- Appendices including research instruments, letter(s) of support that address resource availability and feasibility of project, and documentation of IRB review in progress.
- Principal investigator’s curriculum vitae or resume
- An official letter from the IRB indicating study approval must be received to obtain grant funding. The recipient may submit the IRB approval letter after acceptance of the grant.
Research Grant Submission must be done electronically and submitted to ANPD. Submission must be received no later than March 10, 2014 at 11:59pm (CST) for funding in June, 2014. Incomplete applications and those with late submissions will not be considered.
Research grant applications will be reviewed by the Research Grant Subcommittee of the Research Committee according to established criteria. These criteria are available from the ANPD National Office. Recipients will be notified in May of 2014.
Please fill out the form below to submit a Research Grant Application, the deadline to submit is March 10, 2014.