The purpose of the ANPD Nursing Professional Development (NPD) Leadership Academy is to prepare NPD practitioners to assume leadership of an NPD department in a variety of settings.
The ANPD Leadership Academy is a 12-month mentored program based on the content of Leadership in Nursing Professional Development: An Organizational and System Focus (Smith & Harper, 2016). The Academy consists of a live webinar kickoff workshop followed by live webinars throughout the year for each section of the text. Participants complete relevant, asynchronous assignments between webinars. In addition, one overall work-based leadership best practice initiative is completed over the course of the year.
The ANPD Leadership Academy will launch its 2021 cohort on April 28, 2021. Contact hours will be awarded for all live program components. Experienced NPD practitioners are needed to serve as mentors for this group.
- Certified in NPD
- Master’s prepared
- Current ANPD member
- 3 – 5 years experience in NPD leadership role
- Leadership role not limited to organizational title
- Includes association, affiliate leadership, consultant
- Submit a personal letter of interest including, but not limited to, the following points:
- What attributes will the mentor bring to the mentoring relationship?
- Previous mentoring experience
- Submit resume/CV
- Submit letter of recommendation from a supervisor, colleague, or mentee that addresses the following:
- Capacity for mentoring, including time and expertise
- Attend 2021 convention (if possible) to meet protégé
- Attend introductory orientation (virtual)
- Meet regularly with protégé by phone or video conference
- Advise as needed
- Assist with overcoming barriers
- Promote adherence to timeline
- Provide resources and networking
- Validate completion
- Complimentary copy of leadership text
- Smith, C. & Harper, M.G. (Eds.). (2016). Leadership in nursing professional development: An organizational and system focus. Chicago, IL: ANPD.
- 2021 Convention registration discount: 10%
- Opportunity to participate in convention concurrent session in 2022 – panel discussion about the leadership/protégé experience
- Recognition at annual convention
Leadership Academy mentor applications will be open from Monday, September 28, 2020 - Monday, January 11, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.