The purpose of the ANPD Nursing Professional Development (NPD) Leadership Academy is to prepare NPD practitioners to assume leadership of an NPD department in a variety of settings.
The NPD Leadership Academy is a 12-month mentored program based on the content of Leadership in Nursing Professional Development: An Organizational and System Focus (Smith & Harper, 2016). The academy consists of a pre-convention workshop at ANPD’s annual convention, Aspire to Trailblaze, followed by live webinars throughout the year for each section of the text. Participants also complete relevant, asynchronous assignments between webinars. In addition, one mentored work-based leadership initiative is completed over the course of the year. Participants are required to submit an electronic poster and to share their initiative outcomes at ANPD’s 2023 annual convention.
The ANPD Leadership Academy will launch its 2022 cohort at ANPD's annual convention, Aspire to Trailblaze, in San Antonio, TX, with a pre-convention workshop on March 22, 2022. Contact hours will be awarded for all live program components and independent study.
- Certified in NPD
- Master’s prepared
- Current ANPD member
- 3 – 5 years' experience in NPD leadership role
- Leadership role not limited to organizational title
- Includes association, affiliate leadership, consultant
- Submit a personal letter of interest including, but not limited to, the following points:
- What attributes will the mentor bring to the mentoring relationship?
- Previous mentoring experience
- Submit resume/CV
- Submit letter of recommendation from a supervisor, colleague, or mentee that addresses the following:
- Capacity for mentoring, including time and expertise
- Attend 2022 convention. March 22-25, 2022 (if possible) to meet protégé
- Attend introductory mentor orientation (virtual)
- Attend scheduled initiative check-in meetings
- Meet regularly with protégé by phone or video conference
- Advise as needed
- Assist with overcoming barriers
- Promote adherence to timeline
- Provide resources and networking
- Give feedback on deliverables
- Validate completion
- Complimentary copy of leadership text
- Smith, C. & Harper, M.G. (Eds.). (2016). Leadership in nursing professional development: An organizational and system focus. ANPD.
- 2022 Convention registration discount: 10%
- Opportunity to participate in annual convention concurrent session in 2023 – panel discussion about the leadership/protégé experience
- Recognition at annual convention
Leadership Academy mentor applications will be open until Monday, November 18, 2021 at 11:59pm CT.